So Asher went "viral"...

 Woke up Saturday with the boys bringing their lego creations to the living room to create their typical weekend havoc. One of the Asher's new creations caught my eye. It was a tank (specifically a T-34), he was inspired by this WW2 book that he checked out from the library. 


I was amazed by his ingenuity and his ability to different lego building techniques that he learned from other Lego sets to construct this. I picked it up and took a video of it.  


I mean I was really impressed and wanted to share it with the world like a proud dad. So in addition to the typical ig story post, I posted it to the /r Lego subreddit. Low and behold, it blew up. It went "viral". Maybe not your typical viral, but probably in my normal-ish non-viral world viral. In less than 24 hours, it received more than 140k views, 3.9k upvotes, 100+ comments. I was overwhelmed by the positivity that his build has received and was pondering if I should share it with my boy.  


I did, he let out the most satisfying smile I've ever seen from him. It was interesting though. It was as if this sudden surge of "fame" consumed my entire household. All of a sudden, Asher is "famous", the kids were excited. "I can't believe someone at our home is actually famous!" said Janelle. "Dad can you take a photo of this lego I've built," said 5 year-old Nathanael. My brain started churning too - Should I start a ig to curate all his Lego creation? Am I stifling Asher's creativity, what if he's actually really a genius? (Take a chill pill dad!) I had to tell my kids and myself to calm down and let them know that nothing has really changed at all. 

Our almost-nightly family devotion came at the perfect moment that night to sum up this fleeting whirlwind in the form of Psalm 17:2 - "Let my vindication come from you, for you see what is right." While it was fun and exciting to see Asher's Lego creativity get recognized, but to get overly excited and bonkers over for something so fleeting is simply and overreaction. Meanwhile it gave me a sense of what my teenager students go through on a day to day basis as this fleeting sense of fame is truly addicting and dangerous. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Living as an exile

Yet another anti-climatic ending to the school year